Saturday, May 9, 2020

Soundscapes

Let's start with defining what a soundscape is. It means an array of sounds that makes you feel like you're in the place where those sounds are playing - for instance inside of a story.

This week's class focused on sounds and how to make sounds for our third remediation of our story. This meant, for example, that we would find a stock sound of a toaster dinging if there was one in our story. My story is a bit dialogue heavy so I'm not exactly sure how to go about it - I'm thinking I will need some swings creaking in a deserted playground (spooky), police sirens and... I'm not sure what else, but I'll think of it!

I noticed that the program we're going to use is Audacity, which reminds me of my primary school days. We used that program for some of our projects, though I don't remember exactly what we did with it.

Now let's talk about the impact of sounds. Music is one of the most important factors in films and television shows. A horror movie has spooky and foreboding music while a comedy will have brighter and more upbeat music. Scary music can add to the tension that we usually feel when watching horror, while funny music can make something that would normally be scary into something lighthearted. For example a parody of a horror movie but with someone doing a silly run from a silly villain, with ridiculous music playing.

Think about the soundtrack to your favourite movie - what mood does it evoke?

What about sounds from real life? What sound makes you the happiest? For me it's when I hear my dog's claws clicking on the tiles - it means my dog is around!




`
The hardest part will be trying to make it sounds organic. Often artificial things seem... well, artificial. The soundscape will need to be immersive as if the listener were actually inside the story! It will be a challenge, but a fun one!

4 comments:

  1. i think my favourite sound is like a splash of water? maybe a puddle that you walk through. then again rain is a great sound which when it's heavy, i turn everything off and listen to with my eyes closed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love rain, especially when I'm inside all nice and cosy and I'm listening to it hit the tin roof. Unfortunately Floss disagrees and thinks rain is terrifying.

      Delete
  2. My story is also very dialogue heavy and i struggled to figure out what sounds to have in the background to evoke the feeling that i wanted. There was fighting present with in my story, so naturally i went for a chaotic soundscape.

    I completely agree that music is such an important element in films! A lot of the time, with scary movies in particular, the build up of the scary music is usually more terrifying than the content itself. When you talk about funny music in a scary moment, my mind springs straight to all the Scary Movie films.

    Good work! Keep it up.
    Alex Skinner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alex.
      I love horror parodies. They are probably the funniest parodies since the horror genre is often a bit cheesy, especially before there were lots of special effects.
      I'll have to read your story, it sounds cool! I ended up using some indistinct whispering for my story as well as ambient noises like the winds, squeaking doors and dogs barking in the background.

      Delete